Continuing Professional Development Course:
Resin Transfer Moulding
This course offers a detailed study of the resin transfer moulding (RTM) process, including design and process optimisation, materials selection and tooling design.
Indicative course content:
- Introduction to RTM - principles, definitions, applications.
- Principles of resin flow - fabric permeability, rheology, resin chemistry.
- Process simulation - computational approaches and approximations, case studies and demonstrations.
- Resin systems for RTM.
- Reinforcements and preforming technology.
- Injection equipment, process automation and control.
- Moulding demonstrations.
- RTM applications.
- Introduction to RIFT (resin infusion under flexible tooling) - evolution and rediscovery.
- Health and safety issues.
- Tooling and ancillary materials.
- Optimum materials selection.
- Process and quality comparisons.
- Case studies.
- Laboratory demonstration.
RTM process schematic
(courtesy Plastech Thermoset Tectonics)