Portrait above drawn on 27 December 2006 by
Richard Bell of
Willow Island Editions.
... and links to other relevant sites
[In China] " ... in oracle bone inscriptions from the Shang dynasty ( ca. 1600 BCE - ca. 1045 BCE), which represent the earliest recorded history in China, dynastic rulers rarely stop dancing, praying, and performing sacrifices to coax the rain and to ensure plentiful harvests" [Daniel K Gardner, Confucianism, (A Very Short Introduction 395), Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2014. ISBN 978-0-19-539891-5].
My Desert Island Discs would be a sub-set of:
- Allegri: Miserere (Gimell CDGIM339, 1980)
- Berio: Visage (BV Haast CD9109, 1961)
- Debashish Bhattacharya: Sufi Bhakti ("Calcutta Chronicles", Riverboat TUGCD 1049, 2008)
- Glass: Freezing ("Songs from Liquid Days", CBS MK39564, 1986)
- Pärt: Arbos (ECM New Series 1325, 831959-2, 1987)
- Ligeti: Continuum (BIS-CD-53, 1976)
- Messiaen: Turangalîla Symphony (DG 431781-2, 1991)
- Susato: La Mourisque (Testament SBT1080, 1971)
- Vaughan-Williams: The Lark Ascending (Argo 414595-2, 1972)
- Neil Ardley: Kaleidoscope of Rainbows (Line LICD 9.00351O, 1976)
- Sonny Condell: Camouflage (Mulligan LUNCD010, 1977)
- Moody Blues: Nights in White Satin
- Procol Harum: A Salty Dog ("Live", Chrysalis CCD1004, 1972)
- Sandy Denny: Quiet Joys of Brotherhood ("Sandy, Island
Masters IMCD132, 1972)
- Tir na nÕg: Strong in the Sun ("Strong in the Sun", Edsel
William Baines (1899-1922)
William Baines was born in Horbury (West Riding of Yorkshire) and died tragically young. The British Library (BL) webpages describe his early and later life. A few recordings of his works are in the BL Sound and Moving Image Archive (based on the former National Sound Archive collection). There are two commercial recordings of his piano music (Lyrita and Priory) and some examples of his music on YouTube:
- William Baines - Symphony in C-minor, Op.10 (1917) (Classical Notes)
- Symphony in c Op.10 (1917), 46'32"
- Seven preludes (1919), 10'41", played by Anthony Byrne (piano), Wigmore Hall - London, 1989
- Poem-Nocturne for piano (1919), 4'15", played by John Peace, Wakefield Cathedral.
- William Baines recital, 3'45", played by Alan, 18 June 2011
Classic electronic music available to download (free)
... and music that never made it onto, or no longer available on, CD (but are on Facebook/MySpace)
- David Bedord, You asked for it, commissioned and dedicated to Timothy Walker ... performed live at Montsalvat, Melbourne
- David Bedford, Sun Paints Rainbows on the Vast Waves
- David Bedford, The Tentacles of the Dark Nebula, Peter Pears/London Sinfonietta/David Bedford
- Peter Blegvad, For Shame Of Doing Wrong
- Bryony, Last of the Great Whales (Dragon DRGN862, 1986) and
So Far (2007)
- Nico, All Saints Night From A Polish Motorway (Dojo, DOJO CD271986)
- Pink Floyd with John Alldis Choir & Philip Jones Brass Ensemble, Atom Heart Mother (BBC Radio Session, 16 July 1970).
- Alain Renaud, Renaud (Disjuncta, 000003 1975).
- Suntreader, Zin-Zin (HELP13),
Zin-Zin Part 1 7'35"
Zin-Zin Part 2 6'06"
From the region of Capricorn 12'17".
- La Monte Young / Marian Zazeela, The Theatre Of Eternal Music: Dream House (78'17"), Shandar 83.510, 1974.
... and music videos
- Thoinot Arbeau (1519-1595): Orchesographie (Florilegio Ensemble/Marcello Serafini, 56'50')
- Olivia Chaney, House on a Hill (4'08"),
Roman Holiday & House on a Hill (8'11"),
- Yasmine Hamdan (and scroll down!)
- Machaut: Messe de Notre Dame (Graindelavoix/Schmelzer, 73'32")
- Sir James MacMillan: Stabat Mater performed by The Sixteen in the Sistine Chapel on Sunday 22 April 2018 (60'40").
- Pink Floyd with Philip Jones Brass Ensemble and John Alldiss Choir, Atom Heart Mother (BBC Radio Session, 16 July 1970, 25'30").
- Terry Riley: Sun Rings 'Beebopterismo' movement played by Kronos Quartet.
- Eric Whitacre: Virtual Choir premiere of Deep Field: The Impossible Magnitude of our Universe (23'20', plus 6' 27" silent credits)
- Peter Zinovieff: the garden shed composer who changed music forever (BBC Ideas Beta, 4' 05")
Paderborn Rhine Army Summer Show 2002 ... Sky_Rider
Former inmate of the UWIST Blue Bar 1971-1974:
Updated by John Summerscales on