ND batch 10.
Composite image by
This document aims to provide a bibliography for key
publications on bast fibres and their composites.
Chapter 1: Fibres
- Ryszard Michal Kozlowski and Malgorzata Muzyczek (editors), Natural Fibers: properties, mechanical behavior, functionalization and applications, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppage NY, 2017. ISBN: 978-1-53612-071-4.
- F Reux and I Verpoest (editors), Flax and hemp fibres: a natural solution for the composites industry, JEC Composites, Paris, 2012. ISBN 978-2-95262761-0.
- R R Franck (editor), Bast and other plant fibres, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, March 2005. ISBN 1-85573-684-5.
- AK Mohanty, M Misra and LT Drzal, Natural fibers, biopolymers, and biocomposites, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton FL, 2005. ISBN 978-0-8493-1741-5.
- FT Wallenberger and N Weston, Natural fibers, plastics and composites, Springer, 2004, ISBN 978-1-4020-7643-5.
- BOOK CHAPTERS
- L Sisti, G Totaro, M Vannini and A Celli, Retting process as a pretreatment of natural fibers for the development of polymer composites, Chapter 2 in S Kalia (editor), Lignocellulosic Composite Materials, Springer, 2018, 97-135. ISBN 978-3-319-68695-0.
- J Summerscales and C Gwinnett, Forensic identification of bast fibres, Chapter 5 in Dipa Ray (editor), The Industrial Development of High-Performance Biocomposites, Elsevier/Woodhead, June 2017, 125-164. ISBN 978-0-08-100793-8.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- V Sadrmanesh and Y Chen, Bast fibres: structure, processing, properties and applications, International Materials Reviews, online 26 July 2018.
- MK Deyholosa and Simon Potter, Engineering bast fiber feedstocks for use in composite materials, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, January 2014, 3(1), 53-57.
- A Célino, S Fréour, F Jacquemin and P Casari, The hygroscopic behavior of plant fibers: a review, Frontiers in Chemistry, January 2014, 1(43), 1-12.
- M Hughes, Defects in natural fibres: their origin, characteristics and implications for natural fibre-reinforced composites, Journal of Materials Science, 2012, 47(2), 599-609.
- A Kicińska-Jakubowska, E Bogacz and M Zimniewska, Review of natural fibers. Part I — vegetable fibers, Journal of Natural Fibers, 2012, 9(3), 150-167.
- MdT Paridah, AB Basher, S SaifulAzry and Z Ahmed, Retting process of some bast plant fibres and its effect on fibre quality: a review, BioResources, 2011, 6(4), 5260-5281.
- J Summerscales, N Dissanayake, W Hall and AS Virk, A review of bast fibres and their composites. Part 1: fibres as reinforcements, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, October 2010, 41(10), 1329-1335.
- J Biagiotti, D Puglia and JM Kenny, A review on natural fibre-based composites Part I: structure, processing and properties of vegetable fibres, Journal of Natural Fibres, 2004, 1(2), 37-68.
Flax and linseed
- S Kumar, K Pathania and P Sharma, Genetics of Linseed/Flax: genetic analysis for seed yield and other traits with molecular characterization for disease resistance in flax, Linum u, Lambert Academic Press, 6 Nov 2012. ISBN 978-3-659-29487-7.
- AD Muir and ND Westcott, Flax: the genus linum, CRC Press, London, 2003. ISBN: 978-0-415-30807-6.
- HSS Sharma and CF van Sumere, The biology and processing of flax, M Publications, Belfast, 1992. ISBN 0-951996-30-4.
- BOOK: JA Turner, Linseed law: a handbook for growers and advisers, BASF, Hadleigh, 1987. ISBN 0-950275-22-0.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- N Brutch, I Matvienko, E Porokhovinova, A Pavlov, J Nozkova and V Koshkin, Effect of photoperiod on Linum usitatissimum L. characters, Journal of Natural Fibers, latest articles.
- GR Nair, D Rho and GS Vijaya Raghavan, Application of electro-technologies in processing of flax fiber, Fibers, 2013, 1(2), 21-35.
- C Morvan, C Andème-Onzighi, R Girault, DS Himmelsbach, A Driouich and DE Akin, Building flax fibres: more than one brick in the walls, Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, November 2003, 41(11–12), 935-944.
- A Stamboulis, CA Baillie and T Peijs, Effects of environmental conditions on mechanical and physical properties of flax fibers, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, August 2001, 32(8), 1105-1115.
- HSS Sharma, PC Mercer and AE Brown, A review of recent research on the retting of flax in Northern Ireland, International Biodeterioration, 1989, 25(5), 327-342.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- H Singh, JIP Singh, S Sehijpal, V Dhawan and SK Tiwari, A brief review of jute fibre and its composites, Materials Today: Proceedings, January 2018, 5(14), 28427-28437.
- D Venkata Rao, K Srinivas and A Lakshumu Naidu, A review on jute stem fiber and its compostes, International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), September 2017, 6(1) [bibliographic detail from ResearchGate download not confirmed by IJETT website!]
- BS Mahapatra, S Mitra, M Kumar, AK Ghorai, SK Sarkar, CS Kar, DK Kundu, S Satpathy and PG Karmaker, An overview of research and development in jute and allied fibre crops in India, Indian Journal of Agronomy, 2012, 57(3s), 72-82.
- LK Nayak, L Ammayappan and DP Ray, Conversion of jute caddies (jute mill waste) into value added products: a review, Asian Journal of Textile, 2012, 2(1), 1-5.
- BS Mahapatra, S Mitra, MK Sinha and AK Ghorai, Research and development in jute (Corchorus sp.) and allied fibres in India ~ a review, Indian Journal of Agronomy, 2009, 54(4), 361-373.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- P Ramesh, B Durga Prasad, KL Narayana, Characterization of kenaf fiber and its composites: a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2018, 37(11), 731-737.
- M Ramesh [438 references], Kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) fibre based bio-materials: a review on processing and properties, Progress in Materials Science, June 2016, 78-79, 1-92.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- R Nadlene, SM Sapuan, M Jawaid, MR Ishak and L Yusriah, A review on roselle fiber and its composites, Journal of Natural Fibres, 30 December 2016, 13(1), 10-41.
- M Thiruchitrambalam, A Athijayamani, S Sathiyamurthy and A Syed Abu Thaheer, A review on the natural fiber-reinforced polymer composites for the development of roselle fiber-reinforced polyester composite, Journal of Natural Fibers, 2010, 7(4), 307-323.
Chapter 2: Composites (review papers limited to post-2009 publications - a more comprehensive list can be found here)
- S Kalia (editor), Lignocellulosic Composite Materials, Springer, 2018, 97-135. ISBN 978-3-319-68695-0.
- Asim Shahzad (editor), Biocomposites: properties, performance and applications, Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge NY, 2017. ISBN: 978-1-53612-120-9.
- S Syngellakis (editor), Natural Filler and Fibre Composites: development and characterisation, WIT Press, Southampton, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-78466-147-2.
- RDSG Campilho, Natural Fiber Composites, CRC Press, Boca Raton FL, November 2015. ISBN: 978-1-4822-3900-3.
- VK Thakur and MR Kessler, Green Biorenewable Biocomposites: from knowledge to industrial applications, Apple Academic Press Inc, Waretown NJ, January 2015. ISBN 978-1-7718-8032-9.
- AN Netravali and CM Pastore, Sustainable Composites: fibers, resins and applications, DEStech Publications, Lancaster PA, September 2014. ISBN: 978-1-60595-111-9.
- A Hodzic and R Shanks (editors): Natural Fibre Composites: materials, processes and properties, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, 2014. ISBN 978-0-85709-524-4 (print). ISBN 978-0-85709-922-8 (online).
- VK Thakur (editor): Green Composites from Natural Resources, Taylor and Francis Group LLC, USA, 2013. ISBN 978-1-4665-7069-6.
- K Pickering (editor), Properties and performance of natural-fibre composites, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, June 2008. ISBN: 978-1-84569-267-4.
- R Wool and XS Sun, Bio-based Polymers and Composites, Academic Press, August 2005. ISBN: 978-0-12763952-9.
- C Baillie, Green composites: polymer composites and the environment, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2004. ISBN 1-85573-739-6.
- B Weager, Technology Overview: Biocomposites (major revision of Best Practice Guide: Natural Fibre Composites), Materials KTN and NetComposites, March 2014.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- MZR Khan and SK Srivastava, Development, characterization and application potential of bio-composites: a review, IOP Conference Series Materials Science and Engineering, September 2018, 404(1), 012028.
- T Khan, M Thariq bin Hameed Sultan, AH Ariffin, The challenges of natural fiber in manufacturing, material selection, and technology application: a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2018, 37(11), 770-779.
- T Rohan, B Tushar and G Mahesha, Review of natural fiber composites, International Conference on Advances in Metallurgy, Materials and Manufacturing, IOP Publishing Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2018, 314, 012020.
- TG Yashas Gowda, MR Sanjay, K Subrahmanya Bhat, P Madhu, P Senthamaraikannan and B Yogesha, Polymer matrix-natural fiber composites: an overview, Cogent Engineering, 2018, 5(1), Article 1446667.
- MR Sanjay, P Madhu, M Jawaid, P Senthamaraikannan, S Senthil and S Pradeep, Characterization and properties of natural fiber polymer composites: a comprehensive review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 January 2018, 172, 566-581.
- R Vinayagamoorthy, A review on the polymeric laminates reinforced with natural fibers, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2017, 36(21), 1577-1589.
- C Zhang, TF Garrison, SA Madbouly and MR Kessler, Recent advances in vegetable oil-based polymers and their composites, Progress in Polymer Science, August 2017, 71, 91-143.
- T Väisänen, O Das and L Tomppo, A review on new bio-based constituents for natural fiber-polymer composites, Journal of Cleaner Production, 15 April 2017, 149, 582-596.
- K Srinivas, A Lakshumu Naidu and MVA Raju Bahubalendruni, A review on chemical and mechanical properties of natural fiber reinforced polymer composites, International Journal of Performability Engineering, March 2017, 13(2), 189-200.
- AV Kiruthika [115 references], A review on physico-mechanical properties of bast fibre reinforced polymer composites, Journal of Building Engineering, January 2017, 9, 91-99.
- IGP Agus Suryawan, NPG Suardana, IN Suprapta Winaya, IW Budiarsa Suyasa and TG Tirta Nindhia, Study of stinging nettle (urtica dioica l.) fibers reinforced green composite materials: a review, 2017 IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2017, 201, 012001, 1-7.
- M George, M Chae and DC Bressler, Composite materials with bast fibres: structural, technical, and environmental properties, Progress in Materials Science, October 2016, 83, 1-23.
- V Mittal, R Saini and S Sinha, Natural fiber-mediated epoxy composites: a review, Composites Part B: Engineering, 15 August 2016, 99, 425-435.
- MFM Alkbir, SM Sapuan, AA Nuraini and MR Ishak, Fibre properties and crashworthiness parameters of natural fibre-reinforced composite structure: a literature review, Composite Structures, 15 July 2016, 148, 59-73.
- KL Pickering, MG Aruan Efendy and TM Le, A review of recent developments in natural fibre composites and their mechanical performance, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, April 2016, 83, 98-112.
- K Rohit, A review - future aspect of natural fiber reinforced composite, Polymers from Renewable Resourcces, 2016, 7(2), 43-59.
- T Gurunathan, S Mohanty and SK Nayak, A review of the recent developments in biocomposites based on natural fibres and their application perspectives, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, October 2015, 77, 1-25.
- PHF Pereira, M de Freitas Rosa, MOH Cioffi, KCCdC Benini, AC Milanese, HJC Voorwald and DR Mulinari, Vegetal fibers in polymeric composites: a review, Polímeros, January/February 2015, 25(1) 9-22.
- SK Ramamoorthy, M Skrifvars and A Persson [403 references], A review of natural fibers used in biocomposites: plant, animal and regenerated cellulose fibers, Polymer Reviews, January 2015, 55(1), 107-162.
- L Mohammed, MNM Ansari, G Pua, M Jawaid and MS Islam, A review on natural fiber reinforced polymer composite and its applications, International Journal of Polymer Science, 2015, article ID 243947.
- F Ahmad, HS Choi and Myung Kyun Park [120 references], A review: natural fiber composites selection in view of mechanical, light weight and economic properties, macromolecular materials and Engineering, January 2015, 300(1), 10-24.
- N Jauhari, R Mishra and H Thakur [16 references], Natural fibre reinforced composite laminates – a review, Materials Today: Proceedings, 2015, 2, 2868–2877. 4th International Conference on Materials Processing and Characterization.
- MI Misnon, MM Islam, JA Epaarachchi, K-T Lau, Potentiality of utilising natural textile materials for engineering composites applications, Materials & Design, July 2014, 59, 359–368.
- L Yan, N Chouw and K Jayaraman, Flax fibre and its composites - a review, Composites Part B: Engineering, January 2014, 56, 296-317.
- O Faruk, AK Bledzki, H-P Fink and M Sain, Progress report on natural fiber reinforced composites, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, January 2014, 299(1), 9-26.
- DU Shah, Developing plant fibre composites for structural applications by optimising composite parameters: a critical review, Journal of Materials Science, 2013, 48(18), 6083-6107.
- TP Sathishkumar, P Navaneethakrishnan, S Shankar, R Rajasekar and N Rajini, Characterization of natural fiber and composites – a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, October 2013, 32(19), 1457-1476.
- CW Nguong, SNB Lee and D Sujan [13 references], A review on natural fibre reinforced polymer composites, WASET International Journal of Chemical, Nuclear, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, 2013, 7(1), 33-40.
- J Zhu, H Zhu, J Njuguna and H Abhyankar, Recent development of flax fibres and their reinforced composites based on different polymeric matrices, Materials, 2013, 6, 5171-5198.
- O Faruk, AK Bledzki, H-P Fink and M Sain, Biocomposites reinforced with natural fibers: 2000–2010, Progress in Polymer Science, November 2012, 37(11), 1552–1596.
- A Shahzad, Hemp fiber and its composites - a review, Journal of Composite Materials, April 2012, 46(8), 973-986.
- E Zini and M Scandola, Green composites: an overview, Polymer Composites, 2011, 32(12), 1905-1915.
- HM Akil, MF Omar, AAM Mazuki, S Safiee, ZAM Ishak and A Abu Bakar, Kenaf fiber reinforced composites: a review, Materials & Design, September 2011, 32(8–9), 4107–4121.
- FP La Mantia and M Morreale, Green composites: a brief review, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, June 2011, 42(6), 579-588.
- M Thiruchitrambalam, A Athijayamani, S Sathiyamurthy and AS Abu Thaheer, A review on the natural fiber-reinforced polymer composites for the development of Roselle fiber-reinforced polyester composite, Journal of Natural Fibers, 2010, 7(4), 307-323.
- JK Pandey, SH Ahn, CS Lee, AK Mohanty and M Misra, Recent advances in the application of natural fiber-reinforced composites, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 2010, 295, 975–989.
- A Hassan, AA Salema, FN Ani and AA Bakar, A review on oil palm empty fruit bunch fiber reinforced polymer composite materials, Polymer Composites, 2010, 31(12), 2079-2101.
- J Summerscales, N Dissanayake, W Hall and AS Virk, A review of bast fibres and their composites. Part 2: composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, October 2010, 41(10), 1336-1344.
- C Hill and M Hughes, Natural fibre reinforced composites opportunities and challenges, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, June 2010, 4(2), 148-158.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- MR Sanjay, GR Arpitha and B Yogesha [61 references], Study on mechanical properties of natural - glass fibre reinforced polymer hybrid composites: a review, Materials Today: Proceedings, 2015, 2(4–5), 2959-2967.
- MJ Mochane, TC Mokhena, TH Mokhothu, A Mtibe, ER Sadiku, SS Ray, ID Ibrahim, OO Daramola, Recent progress on natural fiber hybrid composites for advanced applications: a review, Express Polymer Letters, 2019, 13(2), 159-198.
- Chensong Dong, Review of natural fibre-reinforced hybrid composites, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2018, 37(5), 331-348.
- KP Ashik and RS Sharma, A review on mechanical properties of natural fiber reinforced hybrid polymer composites, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 2015, 3, 420-426.
- N Saba, MdT Paridah and M Jawaid [133 references],A review on potentiality of nano filler/natural fiber filled polymer hybrid composites, Polymers, 2014, 6(8), 2247-2273.
- M Jawaid, and H Abdul Khalil, Cellulosic/synthetic fibre reinforced polymer hybrid composites: a review, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2011, 86(1), 1-18.
Chapter 3: Interfaces
- NE Zafeiropoulos (editor), Interface engineering of natural fibre composites for maximum performance, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, February 2011. ISBN: 978-1-84569-742-6.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- R Latif, S Wakeel, NZ Khan, AN Siddiquee, SL Verma and Zahid Akhtar Khan, Surface treatments of plant fibers and their effects on mechanical properties of fiber-reinforced composites: a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2019, 38(1), 15-30.
- H Mohit and V Arul Mozhi Selvan, A comprehensive review on surface modification, structure interface and bonding mechanism of plant cellulose fiber reinforced polymer based composites, Composite Interfaces, online 01 March 2018.
- M Liu, A Thygesen, J Summerscales and AS Meyer, Targeted pre-treatment of hemp bast fibres for bio-composite materials: a review, Industrial Crops and Products, 1 December 2017, 108, 660–683.
- M Chandrasekar, MR Ishak, SM Sapuan, Z Leman and M Jawaid, A review on the characterisation of natural fibres and their composites after alkali treatment and water absorption, Plastics, Rubber and Composites: Macromolecular Engineering, 2017, 46(3), 119-136.
- Y Zhou, M Fan and L Chen, Interface and bonding mechanisms of plant fibre composites: an overview, Composites Part B: Engineering, September 2016, 101, 31-45.
- L Wei and AG McDonald, A review on grafting of biofibers for biocomposites, Materials (MDPI), 2016, 9(4), 303.
- S Kalia, K Thakur, A Celli, MA Kiechel, CL Schauer, Surface modification of plant fibers using environment friendly methods for their application in polymer composites, textile industry and antimicrobial activities: a review, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, September 2013, 1(3), 97–112.
- MM Kabir, H Wang, KT Lau and F Cardona, Chemical treatments on plant-based natural fibre reinforced polymer composites: an overview, Composites Part B: Engineering, October 2012, 43(7), 2883-2892.
- MdY Hashim, MdN Roslan, AMd Amin, AMA Zaidi and S Ariffin, Mercerization treatment parameter effect on natural fiber reinforced polymer matrix composite: a brief review, World Academy of Science: Engineering and Technology, 2012, 68, 1638-1644.
- S Kalia, BS Kaith and I Kaur, Pretreatments of natural fibers and their application as reinforcing material in polymer composites - a review, Polymer Engineering and Science, 2009, 49(7), 1253-1272.
- X Li, HG Tabil and S Panigrahi, Chemical treatments of natural fibre for use in natural fibre-reinforced composites: a review, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, January 2007, 15(1), 25-33.
- J George, MS Sreekala and S Thomas, A review on interface modification and characterization of natural fiber reinforced plastic composites,
Polymer Engineering and Science, 2001, 41(9), 1471-1485.
- AK Mohanty, M Misra and LT Drzal, Surface modifications of natural fibers and performance of the resulting biocomposites: an overview, Composite Interfaces, 2001, 8(5), 313-343.
Chapter 4: Composite manufacture
- Van-Hau Nguyen, Characterization and modeling of flax fiber in composite processing, Scholars' Press, 28 April 2017. ISBN: 978-3-330-65185-2.
- BOOK CHAPTERS
- J Summerscales and S Grove, Manufacturing methods for natural fibre composites, Chapter 7 in Alma Hodzic and Robert Shanks (editors): Natural Fibre Composites: materials, processes and properties, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, 2014, pp 176-215. ISBN 978-0-85709-524-4 (print). ISBN 978-0-85709-922-8 (online).
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- R Vinayagamoorthy and T Rajmohan, Machining and its challenges on bio-fibre reinforced plastics: a critical review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 1 August 2018, 37(16), 1037-1050.
- G Francucci and E Rodriguez [87 references], Processing of plant fiber composites by liquid molding techniques: an overview, Polymer Composites, March 2016, 37(3), 718-733.
- M-P Ho, H Wang, J-H Lee, C-K Ho, K-T Lau, J Leng and D Hui, Critical factors on manufacturing processes of natural fibre composites, Composites Part B: Engineering, December 2012, 43(8), 3549–3562.
Chapter 5: Modelling
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- X Xiong, SZ Shen, L Hua, JZ Liu, X Li, X Wan and M Miao, Finite element models of natural fibers and their composites: a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2018, 37(9), 617-635.
- J Summerscales, AS Virk and W Hall, A review of bast fibres and their composites. Part 3: modelling, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, January 2013, 44(1), 132-139.
Chapter 6: Quasi-static mechanical properties
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- MW Tham, MR Nurul Fazita, HPS Abdul Khalil, NZM Zuhudi, M Jaafar, S Rizal and MKMd Haafiz, Tensile properties prediction of natural fibre composites using rule of mixtures: a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2018, 37(24), 1435-1455.
- MdZR Khan, SK Srivastava and MK Gupta, Tensile and flexural properties of natural fiber reinforced polymer composites: a review, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2018, 37(24), 1435-1455.
- M Fortea-Verdejo, E Bumbaris, C Burgstaller, A Bismarck and Koon-Yang Lee, Plant fibre-reinforced polymers: where do we stand in terms of tensile properties?,
International Materials Reviews, 2017, 62(8) 441-464.
- N Saba, MdT Paridah and M Jawaid, Mechanical properties of kenaf fibre reinforced polymer composite: a review, Construction and Building Materials, 2015, 76, 87-96.
- M Bhowmick, S Mukhopadhyay and R Alagirusamy, Mechanical properties of natural fibre-reinforced composites, Textile Progress, 2012, 44(2), 85-140.
- H Ku, H Wang, N Pattarachaiyakoop and M Trada, A review on the tensile properties of natural fiber reinforced polymer composites, Composites Part B: Engineering, June 2011, 42(4), 856-873.
Chapter 7: Durability
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- AY Al-Maharma and N Al-Huniti, Critical review of the parameters affecting the effectiveness of moisture absorption treatments used for natural composites, Journal of Composites Science, 2019, 3(1), 27.
- A Moudood, A Rahman, A Öchsner, M Islam and G Francucci, Flax fiber and its composites: an overview of water and moisture absorption impact on their performance, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, OnlineFirst 11 December 2018.
- AY Al-Maharma and P Sendur, Review of the main factors controlling the fracture toughness and impact strength properties of natural composites, Materials Research Express, 2019, 6(2), 022001 (30 pp).
- JL Thomason and JL Rudeiros-Fernández, A review of the impact performance of natural fiber thermoplastic composites, Frontiers in Materials: Polymeric and Composite Materials, 27 September 2018, 5:60.
- Z Mahboob and H Bougherara, Fatigue of flax-epoxy and other plant fibre composites: critical review and analysis, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, June 2018, 109, 440-462.
- B Laycock, Melissa Nikolić, JMColwell, E Gauthier, P Halley, S Bottle and G George, Lifetime prediction of biodegradable polymers, Progress in Polymer Science, August 2017, 71, 144-189.
- N Saba, M Jawaid, OY Alothman and MdT Paridah [98 references], A review on dynamic mechanical properties of natural fibre reinforced polymer composites, Construction and Building Materials, 1 March 2016, 106, 149-159.
- DS Bajwa, SG Bajwa and GA Holt, Impact of biofibers and coupling agents on the weathering characteristics of composites, Polymer Degradation and Stability, October 2015, 120, 212-219.
- ZN Azwa, BF Yousif, AC Manalo and W Karunasena, A review on the degradability of polymeric composites based on natural fibres, Materials & Design, 2013, 47, 424–442.
- B Simoncic, B Tomsic, B Orel and I Jerman, Biodegradation of Cellulose Fibers, Nova Science Publishers, 18 August 2010. ISBN: 978-1-61668-154-8.
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- D Montegut, N Indictor and RJ Koestler, Fungal deterioration of cellulosic textiles: a review, International Biodeterioration, 1991, 28(1-4), 209-226.
Chapter 8: Thermal properties and fire
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- N Saba, M Jawaid, M T Paridah and OY Al‐Othman [144 references], A review on flammability of epoxy polymer, cellulosic and non‐cellulosic fiber reinforced epoxy composites, Polymers Advanced Technologies, May 2016, 27(5), 577-590.
- NK Kim, S Dutta, D Bhattacharyya, A review of flammability of natural fibre reinforced polymeric composites, Composites Science and Technology, 7 July 2018, 162, 64-78.
- ME Mngomezulu, MJ John, V Jacobs and AS Luyt, Review on flammability of biofibres and biocomposites, Carbohydrate Polymers, 13 October 2014, 111, 149-82.
- AP Mouritz, S Feih, E Kandare, Z Mathys, AG Gibson, PE Des Jardin, SW Case and BY Lattimer, Review of fire structural modelling of polymer composites, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, December 2009, 40(12), 1800-1814.
- U Sorathia, RE Lyon, TJ Ohlemiller and A Grenier, Review of fire test methods and criteria for composites, SAMPE Journal, July/August 1997, 33(4), 23-31.
Chapter 9: Sustainability
- World Commission on Environment and Development, Our Common Future (The Brundtland Report), Oxford Paperbacks, Oxford, April 1987. ISBN 0-19-282080-X.
- J Tallaksen, F Bauer, C Hulteberg, M Reese and S Ahlgren, Nitrogen fertilizers manufactured using wind power: greenhouse gas and energy balance of community-scale ammonia production, Journal of Cleaner Production, 16 November 2015, 107, 626-635.
- ML Imhoff and L Bounoua, Exploring global patterns of net primary production carbon supply and demand using satellite observations and statistical data, Journal of Geophysical Research, 2006, 111, D22S13 (extended abstract as 9.2 MB PDF file).
- M Kern, Food, feed, fibre, fuel and industrial products of the future: challenges and opportunities - understanding the strategic potential of plant genetic engineering, Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 2002, 188(5), 291–305.
- Michael Toman, Why not to calculate the value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital,
Ecological Economics, April 1998, 25(1), 57-70.
- R Costanza, R d'Arge, R de Groot, S Farber, M Grasso, B Hannon, K Limburg, S Naeem, RV O'Neill, J Paruelo, RG Raskin, P Sutton and M van den Belt, The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital, Nature, 15 May 1997, 387(6630), 253-260. University of Vermont free download. The Encyclopaedia of Earth, 2007.
Chapter 10: Environmental issues and life cycle assessment
- BOOK CHAPTERS
- NPJ Dissanayake and J Summerscales, Life Cycle Assessment for natural fibre composites, Chapter 8 in VK Thakur (editor): Green Composites from Natural Resources, Taylor and Francis Group LLC, USA, 2014, pp 157-186. ISBN 978-1-4665-7069-6.
- M Patel and R Narayan, How sustainable are biopolymers and biobased products? The hope, the doubts and the reality, Chapter 27 in LT Drzal, AK Mohanty, M Misra (editors): Fibers, Biopolymers and Biocomposites, CRC Press, 2005. ISBN 978-0-84931-741-5.
- R Murphy, Life cycle assessment, Chapter 3 in C Baillie (editor): Green Composites: polymer composites and the environment, Woodhead Publishing/CRC Press, Cambridge/Boca Raton FL, 2004, ISBN 1-85573-739-6.
- Y Leterrier, Life Cycle Engineering of Composites, Chapter 2.33 in Comprehensive Composite Materials, Elsevier Science, Oxford, 2000,
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- JP Correa, JM Montalvo-Navarrete, MA Hidalgo-Salazar, Carbon footprint considerations for biocomposite materials for sustainable products: a review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 January 2019, 208, 785-794.
- R Dunne, DA Desai, R Sadiku and J Jayaramudu [70 references], A review of natural fibres, their sustainability and automotive applications, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, February 2016, 35(13), 1041-1050.
- O Adekomaya, T Jamiru, R Sadiku and Z Huan [18 references], A review on the sustainability of natural fiber in matrix reinforcement – a practical perspective, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2016, 35(1), 3-7.
- C Ingrao, AL Giudice, J Bacenetti, C Tricase, G Dotelli, M Fiala, V Siracusa and C Mbohwa, Energy and environmental assessment of industrial hemp for building applications: a review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, November 2015, 51, 29–42.
- MS Islam and SK Ahmed, The impacts of jute on environment: an analytical review of Bangladesh, Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 2012, 2(5), 24-31.
- D Knowler and B Bradshaw, Farmers’ adoption of conservation agriculture: a review and synthesis of recent research, Food Policy, February 2007, 32(1), 25–48.
- T Ekvall and G Finnveden, Allocation in ISO14041 - a critical review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2001, 9(3), 197-208.
- J Summerscales, Resources for Life Cycle Assessment of natural fibre composites and bio-based resins.
Chapter 11 Applications
- REVIEW PAPERS:
- P Peças, H Carvalho, H Salman and M Leite [102 references], Natural fibre composites and their applications: a review, Journal of Composites Science, 2018, 2(4), 66 (20 pp).
- MS Fogorasi and I Barbu, The potential of natural fibres for automotive sector - review, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2017, 252, 012044.
- R Dunne, D Desai, R Sadiku and J Jayaramudu, A review of natural fibres, their sustainability and automotive applications, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2016, 35(13), 1041-1050.
- MPM Dicker, PF Duckworth, AB Baker, G Francois, MK Hazzard and PM Weaver, Green composites: a review of material attributes and complementary applications, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, January 2014, 56, 280-289.
- G Koronis, A Silva and M Fontul, Green composites: A review of adequate materials for automotive applications, Composites Part B: Engineering, January 2013, 44(1), 120–127.
- DB Dittenber and HVS GangaRao, Critical review of recent publications on use of natural composites in infrastructure, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, August 2012, 43(8), 1419-1429.
- J Holbery and D Houston, Natural-fiber-reinforced polymer composites in automotive applications, JOM (Journal of Minerals, Metals and Materials Society), November 2006, 58(11), 80-86.
- D Puglia, J Biagiotti and JM Kenny, A review on natural fibre-based composites ~ Part II: application of natural reinforcements in composite materials for automotive industry, Journal of Natural Fibers, 2005, 1(3), 23-56.