|Resources for Life Cycle Assessment of Natural Fibre Composites and Bio-Based Resins|
Relevant teaching web pages
- NPJ Dissanayake and J Summerscales, Life Cycle Assessment for natural fibre composites, Chapter 8 in Vijay Kumar Thakur (editor): Green Composites from Natural Resources, Taylor & Francis Group LLC, USA, 25 November 2013, pp 157-186. ISBN 978-1-4665-7069-6.
- AD La Rosa and G Cicala, LCA of fibre-reinforced composites, Chapter 14 in SS Muthu (editor), Handbook of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Textiles and Clothing, Elsevier (Woodhead Publishing Series in Textiles), 2015. ISBN 978-0-08-100169-1.
Journal papers on LCA
- T Corbière-Nicollier, B Gfeller Laban, L Lundquist, Y. Leterrier, J-AE Månson and O Jolliet, Life cycle assessment of biofibres replacing glass fibres as reinforcement in plastics, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, November 2001, 33(4), 267-287.
- J Diener and U Siehler, Ecological comparison from NMT- and GMT-components (translated from the German original by Corinna Thom), Applied Macromolecular Chemistry, 1999, 272 (1), 1-4.
- T Ekvall and G Finnveden, Allocation in ISO 14041 - a critical review, Journal of Cleaner Production, June 2001, 9(3), 197-208.
- MK Hagnell and M Åkermo, The economic and mechanical potential of closed loop material usage and recycling of fibre-reinforced composite materials, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 June 2019, 223, 957-968.
- S Halliwell, End of Life Options for Composite Waste: Recycle, Reuse or Dispose?, National Composites Network Best Practice Guide.
- F Hermansson, M Janssen and Magdalena Svanström, Prospective study of lignin-based and recycled carbon fibers in composites through meta-analysis of life cycle assessments, Journal of Cleaner Production, 20 June 2019, 223, 946-956.
- C Ingrao, AL Giudice, J Bacenetti, C Tricase, G Dotelli, M Fiala, V Siracusa, C Mbohwa, Energy and environmental assessment of industrial hemp for building applications: a review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, November 2015, 51, 29–42.
- Y Leterrier, Life Cycle Engineering of Composites, Chapter 2.33 in Comprehensive Composite Materials, Elsevier Science, Oxford, 2000.
- Hans Lilholt and J Mark Lawther, Natural Organic Fibers, Chapter 1.10 in Comprehensive Composite Materials, Elsevier Science, Oxford, 2000, 303-325.
- SV Joshi, LT Drzal, AK Mohanty and S Arora, Are natural fiber composites environmentally superior to glass fiber reinforced composites?, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, March 2004, 35(3), 371–376.
- SJ Pickering, Recycling technologies for thermoset composite materials
- current status, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2006, 37, 1206-1215.
- D Richard, T Hong, M Hastak, A Mirmirand and O Salem, Life-cycle performance model for composites in construction, Composites Part B: Engineering, March 2007, 38(2), 236-246.
- ETH Vink, KR Rábago, DA Glassner and PR Gruber, Applications of life cycle assessment to NatureWorks™ polylactide (PLA) production, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 2003, 80(3), 403-419.
Journal papers reporting LCA specific to natural fibres
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh, Life cycle impact assessment of flax fibre for the reinforcement of composites, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, 2009, 3(3), 245-248.
- NPJ Dissanayake, J Summerscales, SM Grove and MM Singh, Energy use in the production of flax fiber for the reinforcement of composites, Journal of Natural Fibers, 2009, 6(4), 331-346.
- S González-García, A Hospido, G Feijoo and MT Moreira, Life cycle assessment of raw materials for non-wood pulp mills: hemp and flax, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, September 2010, 54(11), 923-930.
- A Le Duigou, P Davies and C Baley, Environmental impact analysis of the production of flax fibres to be used as composite material reinforcement, Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, March 2011, 5(1), 153-165.
- J Summerscales and N Dissanayake, Allocation in LCA of flax fibres for the reinforcement of composites, 21st International Conference on Composite Materials, Xi’an – CHINA, 20-25 August 2017, oral 2039.
- HMG van der Werf and L Turunen, The environmental impacts of the production of hemp and flax textile yarn, Industrial Crops and Products, January 2008, 27(1), 1-10.
- M Barth and M Carus, Carbon Footprint and Sustainability of Different Natural Fibres for Biocomposites and Insulation Material - study providing data for the automotive and insulation industry, nova-institut GmbH, Hürth - Germany, 2015.
- JEG van Dam and HL Bos, Consultation on natural fibres: the environmental impact of hard fibres and jute in non-textile industrial applications, ESC-Fibres Consultation no 04/4, Rome, 15-16 December 2004.
- JEG van Dam and HL Bos, The Environmental Impact of Fibre Crops in Industrial Applications, 33-page document with no publication details beyond the URL!
- Richard Murphy and Ian Bartle, Biodegradable Polymers and Sustainability: Insights from Life Cycle Assessment, Summary Report
presented at the National Non-Food Crops Centre seminar, London, 25 May 2004.
Workshop on Life Cycle Assessment of Composites, Advanced Composites
Manufacturing Centre, University of Plymouth, 7 April 2005.
Workshop on Life Cycle Assessment of Composites, Dartington, 25 September 2013.
ISO 14040 series of standards on Life Cycle Assessment
- 14040:1997 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - principles
- 14041:1998 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - goal and scope definition and inventory analysis (superseded by ISO 14044)
- 14042:2000 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - life cycle impact assessment (superseded by ISO 14044)
- 14043:2000 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - life cycle interpretation (superseded by ISO 14044)
- 14044:2006 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - requirements and guidelines
- 14047 Technical Report: Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - examples of application of ISO 14042
- 14048:2002 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - data documentation format
- 14049:2000 Technical Report: Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - examples of applications of ISO 14041 to goal and scope definition and inventory analysis
Data sources for Embodied Energy
Return to MATS 347 home page
Created by John Summerscales on 05 May 2007 and updated on
13-Jun-2019 10:08. Terms and conditions. Errors and omissions. Corrections.